Pages

30 August, 2011

DIY - Orchid Boutonnières

Sorry for the interruption but I'm back to update! It's been a whirlwind of events the last few months but it was so worthwhile. While I was gone, I planned a wedding in Austin, moved it to Michigan within 6 weeks to go, and finally got married. Now that is over, I can spend some time documenting all my DIY projects.
One of my wedding colors was watermelon pink and it was probably one of the hardest color to match up. Since I was planning a wedding afar, I figured it was most reasonable to DIY my groom and groomsmen bouts with silk flowers. I wanted Phalaenopsis Orchids to be exact but the color was impossible to find. What is a girl to do when she wanted a color, paint them :)

I found these silk flowers at Joann's for $5.99 a stem. There were 7 buds on there, just enough for the mens.


I pulled each flower from it's stem and took them apart.

I had a watercolor palette lying around so I mixed the yellow and red to achieve the color I was looking for. Paint the front and back of each petal and remember how it was assembled so you can put it back together. You can also use other types of water based paint, just make sure you thin it out with water to make it look more natural looking.

After airdrying overnight, I started the assembly process. I added some pearls to the end of some short branches and added some silk leaves I had laying around. Position it together and use floral tape to hold everything in place.

To 'prettify' it more, I added brown ribbons and wrapped it around in an angle from the bud base to the bottom and back up to to the bud. I hot glued it at the top and bottom to hold it in place.



Total Breakdown of these Bouts:
Orchid Stem: $4 with a 40% coupon from Joann's
Pearls: $2 with a 40% coupon
For the rest of the supplies, I utilize what I had at home so it was basically free.

Total Cost: $6.
WooHoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment